[SPARCbook] SPARCbook 3GX RAM upgradeability

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Mon Mar 20 16:05:40 CST 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 patl at phoenix.volant.org wrote:

> On 19-Mar-00 at 20:29, Eric Busto (ebusto at hotmail.com) wrote:
> > >    My question is... Are there only 2 SIMM slots available on the 3GX?
> > >What are the largest SIMMs supported? Basically if someone could give me a
> > >lowdown on the facts and the fiction (up to the "it works for me but not
> > >for somebody else"), I'd greatly appreciate it.
> >
> > There are only two SIMM slots in the sparcbook.  From what I understand,
> > most people have gotten two 64meg simms working for 128megs total, but
> > beyond that things get messy.
>
> I don't think this is right.  Yes, as others have noted, there are
> only two SIMM slots; but I believe the maximum you can get with
> standard SIMMS is 64MB -total-.  I.e., Two 32MB SIMMS.  The problem
> is that the SPARC chipset used in those boxes only supports SIMMs
> up to 32MB per slot.  To get to 128MB in only two slots, Tadpole
> cheated.  The slots are not quite standard, and their 64MB SIMMs
> are made to each look (electronicly) like two 32MB SIMMs.  That is
> why their 128MB memory package is so grossly expensive.  (Custom
> SIMMs, one supplier, small market...)
>
> I have not seen anything to suggest that the 3GX will support 256MB;
> but some of their newer notebooks will go much higher.

According to the manual you can get 256 MB if you send the unit back to
Tadpole for the upgrade.

I don't even dare to ask what this exercise will cost you nor what magic
they perform to create such a miracle. (No flame intended!)

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!