[SPARCbook] SPARCbook 3GX RAM upgradeability

patl at phoenix.volant.org patl at phoenix.volant.org
Mon Mar 20 14:15:04 CST 2000

On 19-Mar-00 at 20:29, Eric Busto (ebusto at hotmail.com) wrote:
> >    My question is... Are there only 2 SIMM slots available on the 3GX?
> >What are the largest SIMMs supported? Basically if someone could give me a
> >lowdown on the facts and the fiction (up to the "it works for me but not
> >for somebody else"), I'd greatly appreciate it.
> >

> There are only two SIMM slots in the sparcbook.  From what I understand,
> most people have gotten two 64meg simms working for 128megs total, but
> beyond that things get messy.

I don't think this is right.  Yes, as others have noted, there are
only two SIMM slots; but I believe the maximum you can get with
standard SIMMS is 64MB -total-.  I.e., Two 32MB SIMMS.  The problem
is that the SPARC chipset used in those boxes only supports SIMMs
up to 32MB per slot.  To get to 128MB in only two slots, Tadpole
cheated.  The slots are not quite standard, and their 64MB SIMMs
are made to each look (electronicly) like two 32MB SIMMs.  That is
why their 128MB memory package is so grossly expensive.  (Custom
SIMMs, one supplier, small market...)

I have not seen anything to suggest that the 3GX will support 256MB;
but some of their newer notebooks will go much higher.

-Pat