[SPARCbook] 128MB memory kit update

Bill Strange wstrange at polarisdata.com
Fri Mar 31 13:54:16 CST 2000

"Senior, Bart" wrote:

> My understanding is the reason for the expensive cost to upgrade to 128 MB of DIMM memory is this
> memory is lower voltage 3 volt memory.  I saw some parity memory for sale that may work while
> browsing some of the memory reseller sites.  So it is possible that a large 72 pin parity memory is
> available that would work.  Does anyone have more information?

Bart-

Centon has reverse-engineered specs for these unusual dual-board simms.
Indeed, the architecture requires that the memory be present in that
particular form, due to an unusual addressing method.  Centon can tell
you more about the specifics, if it really matters.  They can
manufacture them easily, but it would be cost-prohibitive up against the
initial cost of the 3GX.  I sent them my 128 Mb kit and a 3GX so they
could have a look and do their stuff.  Even if the user of each 3GX
still running placed an order, or helped account for a large order via
one of us, the cost is still in excess of $1100 per kit.  It could have
been higher, I just don't remember exactly.

Just so it gets said from time to time, I attempted to install every
64MB SIMM that looked like it might work, even to the point of sending a
3GX to two different memory suppliers.  The plain fact is that no pair
of single-board simms is going to get the 3GX to 128 MB.

Bill Strange