[SPARCbook] Silly Nameserver Problem

Eric Busto ebusto at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 23:18:48 CST 2000

G'day folks,
   I have a Linux box, with the IP 10.0.0.1, acting as a masquerading
gateway to the internet for the boxen on my LAN, composed of my sparcbook
and various other computers.  On the Linux box, I have named running, for
its caching behavior, such that DNS queries wont' be sent out over the
dialup interface if they're already cached on the Linux box.  So on my
sparcbook, I fire up nslookup and do the following..
>www.doot.org 10.0.0.1
blah blah.. the Linux box returns the correct IP and everything looks good.
However, when I add "nameserver 10.0.0.1" to /etc/resolv.conf on the
sparcbook, and then try and nslookup from the command line such as this:
su-2.01# nslookup www.doot.org
*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.1: Non-existent host/domain

Anyone know why it works fine from within nslookup, but when nslookup uses
the /etc/resolv.conf entry, it complains?  Note that if I replace 10.0.0.1
with the IP address of my ISP's nameserver, the query goes out over the
dialup interface, and returns the correct information back to the sparcbook.
  Also, there is an entry in /etc/hosts for 10.0.0.1

Any help is much appreciated.
-Eric Busto