[SPARCbook] Shell?

Lion Templin ltemplin at monolith.leonine.com
Mon Jan 24 11:55:35 CST 2000

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Scott D. Yelich wrote:

> it's not called /sbin for nuttin'

/sbin ain't gonna help you much with the tiny set of tools available
therein, you're limited to getting up on the network and mounting
filesystems.  Not much utility beyond that.

Try this example (which was my predicament) :

	Modify the attributes of the underlying mount point /usr ..
	(during a total drive upgrade, including the root drive, the
	permissions of the directory /usr became 0700 (for reasons
	unknown)) ... anything useful in making this change is in
	/usr/bin .. but /usr cannot be mounted to perform this
	change.  I even tried copying relevant libraries into /lib
	with little success.  In the end I pulled the drive and mounted
	the root partition on another box.

A Linux box with /usr unmounted can actually accomplish something, but
Solaris, God forbid you need to do any actual work that way.  Like, for
instance, you nfs mount /usr (seen small disk clients do this, but for the
same reasons don't think it's safe) ... and your entry for the nfs server is
wrong in /etc/hosts ... without simple tools like and editor, or even mv &
cp, you'll be hard pressed to fix this.  (mv /etc/hosts /etc/hosts_tmp; echo
"192.168.1.99 foo" > /etc/hosts; cat /etc/hosts_tmp >> /etc/hosts; rm
/etc/hosts_tmp ... a cheap fix w/o an editor (It should take the first
entry))

Lion

= lion is Lion J Templin (KB9ENE)                         lion at leonine.com =
=  ||        //             ||>            UNIX Systems Consulting for the =
=  ||=EONINE \\OMPUTATIONAL ||\ESOURCES       Northland FROM the Northland =
=  UNIX Systems Consultants                         http://www.leonine.com =