[SPARCbook] Hosed /etc/passwd file

James D. Meacham jmeacham at hume.jhuccp.org
Tue Jan 11 07:01:31 CST 2000

So, I'm going against the Conventional Wisdom and editing /etc/passwd on
my 3GX running 2.6 by hand.  Although I've been trying to teach my 22
mo/old son proper computer values by giving him his own Intel machine (an
old 486) to bang on while telling him at all times to respect the unix
equiptment, while I was edit the file, he jumped into my lap.  Now the
shell section of root line in /etc/passwd reads /bin/bashXY .So now I
can't login or su to root.  It won't even let me run commands as root
'cause there is no shell to handle them.  Even booting into single-user
mode doesn't work; I just get a "no shell" message and it boots into
multi-user.  Very frustrating, because I didn't notice it had happened at
the time, and i've been using it in root mode doing systems suspends for
the last few weeks.  Anyone have any suggestions, or am I going to have to
boot from an external CD?  Jeez.

James