[SPARCbook] Script file

Thierry Besancon sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 12 07:00:07 CST 2000

Dixit "Meer Ahmed" <sunsolaris80 at hotmail.com> (le Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:07:31 -0500) :

 Hi Bob,

 Does Solaris 8 (kernel 5.8) supports this:

 kill -TERM 'cat /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid'

Well, written this way, certainly not and the shell will be the first
to refuse your command. Write it this way :

        kill -TERM `cat /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid`

Keep in mind what is kernelland stuff and what is userland
stuff...

 As I have to use this in one of my script file, I tried using this
 under my shell prompt it gave me following error:

 kill: invalid id

Well, are you sure your pid file is uptodate with the running process ?

You might use

        /usr/bin/pkill -x -u 0 '(httpd)'

like what is done in all the Solaris rc files...

--
        Thierry BESANCON