[SPARCbook] modem woes.

Mat Maessen tomatoe at nycap.rr.com
Thu Aug 31 00:08:38 CDT 2000

Machine: 3GX running Solaris 2.6.

I've tried two different PCMCIA modems in the beast without any success - 3Com
3CXM756 and a 3Com/Megahertz XJ4336. I've installed Tadpole Patch T030009-02.
And still the modems don't work properly.
When I insert the modem, the PCMCIA utilities pick it up and create the devices
/dev/term/pc0 and /dev/cua/pc0 (or PC1, depending on which slot it's in).

Now, if I try to run the command "tip -38400 /dev/cua/pc0" to talk to the modem,
it gives me the "connected" response. However, I can type until the cows come
home, and nothing will be echoed back from the modem.
Modem does not dial or do anything, even if I send the correct AT commands. And
if I hit "~." to disconnect, it hangs after the "[EOT}" response, until I pop
out the card.

Any ideas? Am I just SOL with USR modems, even with the Tadpole patch that's
supposed to fix things for them?

-Mat