[SPARCBOOK] 1.2 JDK fails with Illegal Instruction

acherry at kiva.net acherry at kiva.net
Thu Sep 16 22:52:33 CDT 1999

The problem with Java 1.2 is that one of the shared libraries
(libmon) depends on a symlink named after the machine model name.
The SPARCbooks return this as Tadpole_S3GX, and Sun didn't make a
symlink for that model.

To fix:

# cd /usr/java1.2/jre/lib/sparc
# ln -s libmonitor_v8.so libmon_Tadpole_S3GX.so

Worked for me.

I imagine the fix is similar for the S3GS -- just use whatever
"uname -i" returns (probably Tadpole_S3GS :-) ).

-Andrew