[SPARCbook] RedHat 6.0 boot floppies on sparcbook... can't load root disk image

William M. Perry wmperry at aventail.com
Tue Sep 14 14:39:23 CDT 1999

Derrick J Brashear <shadow at dementia.org> writes:

> On 13 Sep 1999, William M. Perry wrote:
>
> > Anybody seen this one?  I cannot boot using 'boot floppy' or 'boot
> > /iommu/sbus/espdma/esp/fd at 5,0' - says no device found.  Booting from sd at 5,0
> > works for the boot floppy, and I see:
>
> It's not a floppy (fd), it's a SCSI disk (sd) that happens to be 1.44mb,
> and that's your problem.
>
> The boot floppies don't deal with that case. I used tftp to do my download

Well, that sucks. :) Is there any way that people know of to get around
this?  Could I 'dd' the ramdisk somewhere else and pass some arguments to
silo at boot?  I could write the ramdisk to one of the partitions on the
hard drive easily enough, and then just waste it during the install phase.
I really don't want to screw around with tftp and rarp if I can help it.

-Bill P.