[SPARCbook] SparcBook FAQ v1.10

Rich Lafferty rich at alcor.concordia.ca
Tue Sep 7 11:02:03 CDT 1999

Quoting Derrick J Brashear (shadow at dementia.org) from Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 06:03:28PM -0400:
> >    How ever this does not include the NCE graphical utilities. These are
> >    not around at present times but may be available in the future.
> >    (Unlikely for Solaris 2.6 now that Solaris 7 is out.)
>
> Apparently most of the functionality can be found in several command line
> utilities:
> battery (for battery management)
> locations/chloc/rmloc/saveloc/lsloc (for the network location stuff)
> diskid (for disk management)
> fbconfig (for monitor setup)
> fetchmail/popread (for email)
> kbconfig (keyboard)
> msconfig (mouse)
> lsformat (format floppy)
> syshw (for other hardware tuning)
> slattach/sldetach (for slip)
>
> There are man pages for them installed from the TADman package, I think.

You know, if NCE is just acting as a frontend for all this, it wouldn't
be too difficult to hack up a replacement for it. I'm still running
2.5.1 (just got my machine recently, no newer media yet, but working on
it) so I've been able to use NCE, but I might try to hack together a
free NCE replacement.

Is anyone aware of any differences in the way the above-listed commands
work between 2.5.1 and 2.6 and (2.)7?

I'd probably do it in perl with either the Tk or the Gtk widget set --
I haven't played much with either at this point, so there's not much
tying me to one or the other. Any preferences? (Maybe this part should
go offlist..)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Information and Instructional Technology Services