[SPARCbook] linux, X, and NCE

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Wed Sep 1 08:48:15 CDT 1999

As of about 2 minutes ago what's needed to get X working is in the vger
CVS tree on the 2.3 branch. Presumably these patches will get pushed back
into mainline 2.3 kernels within a version or two, and they're pretty
frequent, or you can use the vger CVS mirror at cvs.on.openprojects.net to
get a CVS kernel. Right now, we play cg3. When I get time (read: after i'm
poked at pcmcia, power management, and the internal modem) I'll go back
and write real X server support, including acceleration: the p9000
acceleration code, why not directly applicable, should be adaptable, at
least somewhat.

One of the things that would be nice is if the NCE graphical utilities
from Solaris could work under Linux. To that end, I'd like to find out
what ioctls tadpole provided for these. Anyone with a complete copy of the
Solaris OS (read: header files) like to share what new ioctls and data
structures would need to be supported?

Thanks...

-D