[SPARCbook] Problem with upgraded SB 3GX (64M/6.4G)

Bill Strange wstrange at polarisdata.com
Tue Nov 30 10:11:02 CST 1999

Ken Hansen wrote:

> Hello all,
>         I am having a problem with rebuilding my SB 3GX
> now that I have upgraded the RAM to 64 Meg and put a new
> HD inside. I can boot off the original 1.2 Gig drive
> with my new RAM size (but no suspend/resume!), but when
> I put the new 6.4Gig SCSI drive inside the tray and
> boot the laptop, I can not get the install to accept the
> drive (no valid Sun disklabel IIRC)...

What I did was allow the solaris install sequence to continue to the GUI
level, and before continuing with anything at all just opened a command
tool and ran format.  This allows a back-door approach to labeling and
partioning.  Then, I just rebooted and ran the install nominally.  It
will see the drive at that time and you can take or leave your original
partitioning.

Bill Strange