[SPARCbook] Resurrecting sparcbook 2 ... how?

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Nov 18 12:34:39 CST 1999

> It's not that it's going to just keel over and die in a few weeks -
> SPARCbook 2 isn't y2k compliant.

OK, that is not a problem, particularly, for my needs.   When I got
it  up and running, and set the installation dates,  I  chose 7 backward
leaps, and  it  now is in November, 1971.  So, even if it is nil officially
y2k, it will do for my needs.

It is purring along like a warm fuzzy kitty, and I am loading it out
with addins today, to suit.

> Dead NVRAM batteries can be repaired easilly.  (easilly - given the
> circumstances)
> I don't know about compatibillities =/  I know that I can still buy new
> NVRAM chips...  and I put a new NVRAM chip from an ELC into my SPARCbook
> and it worked.  :P

Yeah, they can be repaired, but I nuked my first go at that.  Those
wire ends are mucho delicate and really require a fine soldering
pencil.  My 15watter felt like an elephant in a mouse cage, and the
outcome was fair, but not to my liking.

> BTW:  Are you the shmuck who baught the two SPARCbook 2's from Tadpole?
> (Old stock.. brand new, still in thier boxes with all the manuals,
> accessories, etc)
> I wanted to buy one of them.  :P

Nope.  Mine came in surplus as junk, from a local company.  One was
a castoff that noone seemed to know how to make work.  One was dead
but should be ressurectable.  The third was parts scattered all over
a big box.  Nil manuals, docs, accessories, etc.

Bob