[SPARCbook] about to upgrade

Mark G. Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Mon Nov 15 21:56:43 CST 1999

Hi,

> Next week it looks like I will be going through the upgrade on my
> Sparcbook 3GX to move from Solaris 2.51 to Solaris 6.
>
> A couple of questions.  After installing the Solaris system and the
> Tadpole packages from their FTP site, will Pause-O still save the system
> in the quick save mode like it does in 2.51?  I understand that the

Yes.

> method Solaris 2.6 uses is different than 2.51, and that additional save
> partition is no longer needed.  I just wonder if the command is the
> same.

Correct.

> Also, the Sparcbook manual mentions the file /etc/defaultrouter as being
> the file where I should list my gateway IP address.  I use this
> currently and it works fine.  Being new to Solaris -- is this a standard
> Solaris file, or some kind of extension that Tadpole uses?  When I do
> the upgrades to 2.6, will I still list my gateway here?

This is standard for Solaris.

You can see where this file is used during boot in /etc/rc2.d/S69inet.

I find using my SPARCBook on multiple networks, it is generally faster
and easier then doing a full reboot to use the `route add default` command
to add a new default route.

The `ifconfig` and `route` commands are not very complicated to use, and
give you a lot of flexibility for changing interface IP addresses and routing
on the fly as needed.

> If anyone has any tips about going through this procedure, I'd love to
> hear them.  I'm scouring the FAQ and the maillist archives, but I'm
> still worried...

The FAQ info is good.  Be sure to install any Solaris-2.6 patches, such
as 2.6_Recommended *before* installing the Tadpole packages and patches.
I also suggest doing an install and not an upgrade, after saving anything
important of course, and using the 5/98 version of Solaris-2.6.

I hope this helps,

-Mark

--
Mark G. Thomas (Mark at Misty.com -- http://www.misty.com/)