[SPARCbook] Upgrading a 3GX

Markus Mayer mmayer at iname.com
Mon Nov 8 07:40:07 CST 1999

Hi!

I've got a 3GX with 32MB RAM and a 1.2 GB SCSI-disk.

It looks as if I might have to get myself a new hard-disk. Sometimes the
system issues SCSI error-messages accessing the disk. Occasionally the
system even hangs (probably because an error occurred accessing swap).
Read-only testing the drive using 'format' showed no bad blocks however.

Since I'm almost out of space, a bigger disk would be nice anyway. Has
anybody successfully upgraded from a real SCSI-disk (i. e. bought an IDE-
converter)? Any experience with those SCSI-converted HDs offered by
www.powerbook1.com and www.powerbookguy.com?

While I'm at it, I also thought about more RAM. Is there a chance that the
internal battery will still fit if I buy my RAM at one of the 3 stores
listed in the Sparcbook FAQ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Markus