[SPARCbook] sundoom

Brighten Godfrey godfreyb at cmu.edu
Sun Nov 7 01:28:11 CST 1999

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Tyson J. Lambert wrote:

> This is kindof an odd question, but has anyone out there gotten sundoom
> working on a 3gx?  I can get it to start but after about 3 seconds of play
> I get a bus error.  Anyone know what the problem could be?

I downloaded Doom 1.8 from a site linked off sunhelp.org (towards the
bottom of the page).  It worked fine for me, after I did two things:

    0.  I run it when cd'd into the Doom directory.  I think you can set
        up symlinks or edit your .doomrc instead, but as I only play doom
        about once a week, I'm lazy. :-)  There is a description of this
        problem in the readme file, I believe, or on the web site.

    1.  Make sure you're running the sunxdoom binary and not sundgadoom,
        which won't work on SparcBooks as the frame buffer is not
        supported.  (sunxdoom doesn't access the framebuffer directly).

HTH,
Brighten
Brighten Godfrey | godfreyb at cmu.edu | godfreyb at bigw.org | brighten.bigw.org