[SPARCbook] re: linux on GX

Adam Rogoyski rogoyski at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 4 09:09:37 CST 1999

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Len Rose wrote:
> Excuse me, but I use fast sparc machines all the time, and the 3GX is
> dog slow. I still use it a great deal but I'm a realist. I'm not going to debate
> anything else you've said with the above exception because I don't want this to
> turn into some holy war. I honestly wanted to know what others felt about not
> using Solaris on such a slow machine when there are so much faster laptops
> around. Maybe I'm a minority but I didn't buy the Tadpoles because they were

   Why is buying a laptop to run Solaris any different from buying a
laptop to run OpenBSD or NetBSD or Linux or whatever?  You are right,
there are much faster laptops around, and you can run Solaris on those
intel laptops as well, just like BSD and Linux.  You can argue this over
scsi/ide, intel/sun, sun5/ibm keyboard, whatever.  Different things suit
different people at different times.

   Adam