Linux (was Re: [SPARCbook] Sparcbook 3 mouse)

Derrick J Brashear shadow at dementia.org
Tue Aug 24 21:19:20 CDT 1999

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Eric Busto wrote:

> Yikes, whats the delay?  Sparcbooks have been out since 1996 or so?  Is it
> lack of documentation on the hardware, or just that there are very few
> programmers interested in helping port Linux to it?  I know a thing or two
> about C, and also familiar with Sparc V8 assembly, so I'd like to contribute
> if possible.  Can anyone point me to the right place?  Is there a Linux on
> Sparcbooks website or something of that nature?  Perhaps we should send one
> to Alan Cox.. he seems good at porting, a natural.  :>

The documentation was released only a month ago. assembly not important,
what needs to be done is:
a) a video driver finished (i started work on this a few days ago)
b) X server modifications, if necessary, and they may not be
c) support for the pcmcia controller and a port of pcmcia-cs
d) support for power management

that i know of i'm the only person working on any of this stuff right now;
i'd love to know if anyone else is doing work on any of this.

-D