Linux (was Re: [SPARCbook] Sparcbook 3 mouse)

Eric Busto ebusto at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:22:03 CDT 1999

> > > Red Hat Linux 5.2 (kernel 2.0.35) needs a fix before the console works
>so
> > > you must install it by terminal first.
> > >
> > > Red Hat Linux 6.0 (kernel 2.2.5) works straight out of the box on the
> > > console.
> >
> >  Debian 2.1 Slink works, if you use the 2.2 kernel image.
> >
> > > No Xserver yet available.
> >
> >  Not even colors on the console yet (please someone tell me I'm wrong :)
>
>Red Hat Linux does.
>
>Hugo.

Yikes, whats the delay?  Sparcbooks have been out since 1996 or so?  Is it
lack of documentation on the hardware, or just that there are very few
programmers interested in helping port Linux to it?  I know a thing or two
about C, and also familiar with Sparc V8 assembly, so I'd like to contribute
if possible.  Can anyone point me to the right place?  Is there a Linux on
Sparcbooks website or something of that nature?  Perhaps we should send one
to Alan Cox.. he seems good at porting, a natural.  :>

Thanks,
Eric