[SPARCbook] Sparcbook 3 mouse

Jaakko Niemi liiwi at lonesom.pp.fi
Thu Aug 19 14:36:00 CDT 1999

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 03:36:17PM -0400, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Jaakko Niemi wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 12:26:21AM -0400, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> > > Doh. What I meant to mention, but sent too soon: this is for a linux 2.3
> > > kernel, and the gpm with RedHat 6.0.
> >
> >  Cool. 2.3.13 and .14-pre1 do not compile on sparc atm though :(
>
> They aren't yet cleaned up for sparc32. I'm still using 2.3.5 because of
> this.

 I'm also using 2.3.5 on several systems, as it seems more stable than
 2.2.(upto 11).

> >  Anyone taken any look at the framebuffer drivers (or X) on Linux yet?
> >  I'd be even happy to get white text on black background :)
>
> I'm working on it as of last night.

 Absolutely great news!

 Unfortunately I've never quite gotten into coding.. maybe it's not too
 late to start yet..

> >  Also the power management + APM will need a lot of work. My machine gets
> >  so hot in an hour that I don't dare to keep it on even.
>
> power management, yes, APM, no. APM is a pc specific thing, and not
> applicable to these machines.

 D'oh! That's just what I meant :)

 This heat thing is a real problem, as with Solaris these machines
 stay quite cool, unless one burns the cpu for long at full speed.