[rescue] DECstation 3100 serial console / running OSF/1

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Mon May 20 18:08:41 CDT 2019

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019, Dennis Grevenstein wrote:

> > Did you get this problem sorted? I'm planning to unearth a couple of
> > DS3100s in the coming weeks for the new exhibit floor at the museum.
> > I will be able to read EPROMs, etc while I'm cleaning them up and
> > getting them running.
>
> No, I have not found a solution yet. I guess having updated PROMs
> might help, so if you have the time, I would appreciate having
> some images of a firmware release >= 7.

 I'm sorry for the late reply, I've been bad with catching up with mailing
list traffic recently.  I can see no further input however, so in case you
are still looking for assistance here's what I have to add.

 You previously wrote:

> This works in general, but always fails at:
>
> KN01 V6.71
>
> 7..6..5..4..3..

so the failing test is #3, which is the keyboard and mouse according to
documentation.  You mentioned you had a mouse loopback connected.  Do you
also have one for the keyboard?  I have experience with neither, I have
always used real devices instead, but both interfaces have to be wired
AFAICT.

 Also you'll need working Ethernet for the next step, i.e. test #2.
Again a loopback on the AUI socket or a terminated T-connector on the BNC
connector should do, with the interface selection switch set accordingly,
although again I've only ever used a real connection, with a 10BASE-T
transceiver wired to a continuously operated network switch, making sure
the SQE signal has been enabled in the transceiver.

 HTH,

  Maciej