[rescue] DECstation 3100 serial console / running OSF/1

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Mar 22 12:30:36 CDT 2019

On 3/20/19 4:49 PM, Dennis Grevenstein wrote:
> I have had a DECstation 3100 for some time now and I got
> to reinstalling this machine a few days ago. As I got old and all
> those system got old, I mostly switched to serial consoles
> or basically serial connection via an USB-to-serial adapter.
> It should be possible to get a serial console on a DS3100 by:
> - pulling the framebuffer SIMM
> - connecting the mouse or a mouse loopback
> - connect a terminal to the printer port
>
> This works in general, but always fails at:
>
> KN01 V6.71
>
> 7..6..5..4..3..
>
> then it just says b
FAILUREb
 and prompts me to press the
> reset switch. I have tried setting the console firmware
> variable to b
8b
 or b
sb
, but nothing helps. I ended up setting
> it to just the default b
*b
. So far I have only found references
> for firmware release V7.
> Does anybody here have an idea? It works, but it wonbt
> boot automatically.

  Wow, this brings back some memories.  I ran DS3100s as DNS servers,
Kerberos servers, and all sorts of other little tasks at Digex years and
years ago.  Great little machines in just about every way.

  Did you get this problem sorted?  I'm planning to unearth a couple of
DS3100s in the coming weeks for the new exhibit floor at the museum.  I
will be able to read EPROMs, etc while I'm cleaning them up and getting
them running.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ