[rescue] Cox residential?

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Mon Jul 22 12:29:56 CDT 2019

On 7/22/19 11:47 AM, U'll Be King of the Stars wrote:

> Why don't you get a cheap VPS that offers static IP and use that instead?

    Because there's a certain eclat to running your personal web-server
out of your own home?

    I'm on the far end of a cable-connected Internet connection, and
run mine out of my kitchen.  The address is stable enough that I've
got an external DNS entry to it and run 443/TCP and 123/UDP to my
stratum-1 time-server (GPS referenced (x2)).  80 is available, and
when I need to renew my Let's Encrypt SSL key, I enable 80, allow
the handshake to complete, and then firewall it again.  The cable
company does block 25 -- which is a good thing, in my opinion -- but
most other stuff does work as designed.

    Cheers!