[rescue] wifi ethernet on SPARCstation 10

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Fri Jul 19 09:19:53 CDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:30 AM john <jferg977 at aol.com> wrote:

> I've got an Orinoco Gold card but haven't tried it.

I'm doing this from memory, which is a tad dangerous, but IIRC the AT&T
Orinoco card used the same Si that the DEC card used [the chip was done as
a joint project between the DEC networking good and AT&T Allentown - one of
my brothers worked on it at AT&T].  It's possible the base chips were
slightly different, but I thought the only real difference in the final
product was DEC used the radio's developed for RoamAbout - which took a bit
more power, but as I said could talk to just about anything.  The Si was
fab'ed at both AT&T Allentown and DEC Hudson [and IIRC DEC solid the rights
to that and the Tulip to Marvell at one point.  Intel will later sell them
the rest of StrongARM stuff when they got of the direct ARM business a few
years later].

Anyway at the time, the stock Compaq WiFi PCMCIA card used Si that came
from somebody else, who's name I forget these days; but that chip much
cheaper to make/purchase than the AT&T/DEC Si; but as I said previously, it
only worked if you were right on top of the AP and had a clear line of
sight to it.

Clem