[rescue] In search of MEGATEK Sun 3 VME 3D accelerator drivers and info!

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jul 5 18:12:45 CDT 2019

On 7/4/19 2:25 AM, Ian Finder wrote:
> I just picked up a pair of these very neat old graphics boards.
>
> Alas I have no idea what they are or if there is hope of using them. One is
> a dual
> slot 9U VME board that has gobs of video ram all over it, including a board
> labeled Z buffer.
>
> The only output are (3) BNC connectors
> (R,G, and B) and a 50 pin connector marked P4.
>
> The other is a single slot 9UVME board with (8) 30 pin SIMM slots with 1mb
> SIMM in them, a couple of Weitek chips, another 50 pin connector labeled
> P4, jumpered with a baby backplane to the other board, and 6 led on the
> front.
>
> Anyone know what these are and where to get drivers? They appear to be Sun
> 3 era, and the boards are labeled b
Sun OHCb
 with a megatek sticker.

> They do not appear to work out-of-box in my 3/260 as console devices.

  I have a Megatek X-elerator (sp?), new-in-box, that I've had for
easily 30 years.  If memory serves, it's a 6U VME board.  I've never
tried to do anything with it.  I will dig it up and see if there's
anything else in the box.  Ping me (you know all about that ;)) and
it'll bubble up to the top of the priority list.

  Now that we are building workstation exhibits at LSSM/MACT, this sort
of thing is becoming more relevant to our work here, so prioritizing it
won't be that hard.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ