[rescue] Sun Ultra5 emulation, was: more sun2 adventures!

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Jan 8 12:49:45 CST 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> QEMU will emulate a sparc and you can run the SSP software on anything,
> even Sparc 5s or 20s.
>
> https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Platforms/SPARC

I did a search _after_ sending the eMail and discovered QEMU appears to
support sun4u to some reasonable degree - enough there's screenshots of
people with the Solaris installer running.

I am _certain_ I looked at QEMU 12-14 months ago and it was not in a
workable state for sun4u. I simply assumed at the time there'd be no
further development on it and stopped checking. I'm going to give this a
try.

> When I was a wee lad we were told that the E10Ks just used JTAG and then it
> was JTAG encapsulated over TCP/IP once the Controllers in the E10K booted
> far enough and saw the SSPs.

This is correct (based on the E10ks documentation). I suspect there's
probably few enough requests going back and forth that I could probably
emulate a dead start without too much trouble (assuming I had a working
SSP to watch). The OBP is pulled via tftpd and a combination of
bootparamd/rarpd provides a lot of the help, which are, of course,
still vaguely standard (read: installable, if not trivially buildable)
utilities.

But if I go down that road it'll be yet one more impediment to going back
to bringing up the E10k (I have gotten it to 32 CPUs and 20GB of RAM
running) and I know myself too well.

Thank you!

  - JP