[rescue] looking for titanium powerbook

Hauke Fath hauke at Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE
Tue Jan 1 14:23:51 CST 2019

At 22:11 Uhr +0000 24.12.2018, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
>I had a PowerBook G4 667 MHz (DVI TiBook).  It was one of the best
>computers I ever had and I sure would love to afford a replacement (not
>necessarily the exact same.
>
>I noticed that it would get get _very_ hot too.  Sometimes this
>concerned me and I would wonder whether something was actually wrong
>with with my computer.
>
>Hauke, what are these "3rd party fan trays"?  In case I am fortunate
>enough to procure another TiBook, I'd like to investigate.

Hi Andrew,

it took me a while to sit down and search the web for what I had in my
mind's eye when I wrote this. My TiBook has been dead and apart for more
ten years now...

>Could you point me to a link please?

Here's a link block. I had remembered a fan tray, and it turns out that
those are still being made:

<https://www.google.de/search?q=Notebook+Cooler&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0a
hUKEwj7-fi9sMrfAhXvoIsKHetaC6UQ_AUIDygC&biw=1516&bih=925>

These podiums were apparently more popular:

<https://barefeats.com/podium.html>
<https://web.archive.org/web/20030531202334/http://www.roadtools.com:80/>

<https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=59472>
<https://www.amazon.com/Targus-PA251U-Podium-CoolPad-White/dp/B000117DEE>
<http://www.atpm.com/7.08/coolpad.shtml>

<https://www.macprices.net/columns/hildreth_moore/takealongstands.shtml>

<https://macinfo.us/best-cooling-pad-for-your-overheating-macbook>

<https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/5602-g4-powerbook-overheating/>
<https://www.cnet.com/news/powerbook-g4-coolingfan-control-tips-granite-icurve/>

<https://www.mac-forums.com/apple-notebooks/249805-extreme-series-mods-powerbook
-g4-titanium.html>
<http://women-and-dreams.blogspot.com/2014/12/titanium-g4-powerbook-no-gnome.htm
l>

<http://lowendmac.com/2014/low-end-macs-compleat-guide-to-titanium-powerbooks/>

>I never had a G3 but one of these is also on my "to do" list as I get
>more re-acquianted with PowerPC.  I have missed it very much.
>
>> I don't know about the battery situation though.
>
>Are you referring to the possibility/difficulty of finding a battery
>that is in suitably good condition?

LiIon battery cells age even when not used, and you are lucky to find a
pack that lives longer than 3 years in good health. For the Pismo, I had no
problems finding clone replacement batteries until 2-3 years ago, and then
supplies dried up. As it is, I still have a working pack, but after that I
will probably have to look into re-celling.

The situation for TiBooks is probably similar, although they were
apparently sold in greater numbers than the G3 PowerBooks.

Cheerio,
Hauke

--
Hauke Fath                                 Ruf +49-6251-8032829
Grabengasse 57