[rescue] Need other Solaris 8 (2/04) disk ISO

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Oct 7 06:17:21 CDT 2018

" From: Jonathan Patschke <jp at celestrion.net>
"
" On Sat, 6 Oct 2018, Earl Baugh wrote:
"
" > Jumpstart isn't what I want to bother with.... I'm not looking to set up
" > another machine just to be able to load the OS on this machine.
" > I don't currently have a DVD drive that will work in this unit (I did try 5
" > drives that I have, all of which work in other machines but don't
" > seem to like this box... )
"
" Could it be the block size?  The pioneer DVD drive I used for Unix
" installs needed the block-size jumper set to one way (512 bytes?) for Sun
" systems and the other way (2048 bytes?) for PCs and Macs.

could be; sun install discs are actually ufs and not hsfs.  iirc
pioneer was one of the first to make blocksize jumperable.

" At some firmware revision, Suns gained the ability to negotiate block size
" with DVD drives, so serving up a firmware update over TFTP might fix the
" problem for you, too.

that wasn't until obp3 with ultrasparc; afaik no update was ever
released for earlier versions, though a clever openboot programmer
might craft a patch...  and early cd drives at least didn't even have
the blocksize command - did that come with eide?  perhaps no dvd
drives are old enough to predate the enhanced command set.