[rescue] Hardware Recommendations for upgrading sunhelp.org?

Andrew Luke Nesbit ullbeking at andrewnesbit.org
Mon Oct 1 16:07:03 CDT 2018

Dear Bill,

I, likewise, am sorry to hear of your mother's passing.

On 01/10/2018 18:59, Bill Bradford wrote:

> It maxes out at 16G and well is just getting old.

[...]

> i7 is the best proc I can think of that would still let me use ddr3.

Intel Xeon E3-1200v1 or v2 CPU with an X9 series Supermicro motherboard
is a great combination when you've got DDR3 RAM.  My "go to" X9 boards
for E3 CPU's max out at 32 GB.

> Case is a Fractal Design R5 so anything needs to fit into that.
>
> https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r5-black

These are great cases, especially for the price.  There are X9 board
options with micro-ATX form factor that can be had for very cheap.

You'd have 4c/8t (as well as the aforementioned 32 GB RAM).  In another
message you mentioned using this server as a virt host as well.  I'm
still learning the intricate relationships between cores and memory.
(If anybody has particularly useful resources on the latter point,
please let me know.)

Finally, I can't help but ask.  Why are you not looking at a Sun stack
as your preferred option?

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9