[rescue] Hardware Recommendations for upgrading sunhelp.org?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Mon Oct 1 13:26:00 CDT 2018

Bill,

its time to quit messing around with this x86 stuff, and get back to RISC HW.

Odd you mentioned this, especially your budget.

In July, in preparation for Solaris 11.4 (AKA 12.0), I purchased a (new to me) Sun/Oracle T4-1 system from a vendor selling on eBay.

specs:

128 Gb RAM - expansible to 512 Gb.

Also shipped with Dual SAS HDD for mirror redundancy.

64 threads/CPU available to the OS.

Paid $599.xx + shipping.

It is an enterprise piece of equipment, and it is somewhat audible, but no where like your old T1000.   FWIW, due to limited wall
outlets, right now it is in my living room, and have no problem hearing my TV.

Very fast.  Intended to be playing with LDOM stuff right now, but having fun playing with john-the-ripper, vs 64 CPU's.

Food for thought.

Jerry Kemp