[rescue] Hardware Recommendations for upgrading sunhelp.org?

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Mon Oct 1 12:45:02 CDT 2018

On 10/1/18 1:09 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Due to my mom's passing, I have some inheritance with which to rebuild
> and upgrade sunhelp.org (which also hosts my personal mail, websites for a
> few people, a couple of VMs.. it's my main core server).
>
> I already have a case and PS.
>
> Need recs on
>
> 1: ryzen/motherboard/32g ram with as many SATA ports as possible
> OR
> 2: i7/motherboard that takes DDR3 (I already have a bunch of DDR3) with
>    as many SATA ports as possible.
>
> Budget: $600 or less.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Doesn't have to be current gen, just good for the money - current system is
> an AMD Phenom II X4 960T with 16G RAM and four 1TB SATA drives so I want
> something newer than that with at LEAST 4cores/8threads or better.

Two days ago, I would have said "I have never had a problem with an ASUS
motherboard."  However, yesterday I started trying to upgrade my
daughter's PC with the Asus B350-Plus and Ryzen 5 2600 that I just
bought for her, and it appears to have defective fan sensing *and*
defective voltage monitoring.

I'm not a fan of Intel for a variety of reasons, and have preferred AMD
processors for about 25 years.  But having a bunch of DDR3 RAM on hand
to use may be a compelling argument.  Is there a reason why any
DDR3-using board should be i7?  Or is it simply than any AMD-based board
newer than what you have will require DDR4?

Will the board you have take a newer processor with more cores?  Do you
need more than four SATA ports?  Is there a reason you can't add an
additional SATA/SAS controller to the existing system?  What's the
bottleneck on what you're running right now?

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net