[rescue] compiling old software re: emacs on SunOS 4.1.4

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Thu May 31 15:56:11 CDT 2018

> ldstub (the atomic take-from-memory-deposit-in-register-store-a-value-
> in-memory which doing bus-snooping) exists in supersparc (basically a
> requirement for multiprocessor supersparc machines.)

'ldstub' is the "enough support" bit I was talking about. It's also in
v7, which is why you could have SM100 in the 600MP (and why Solbourne
could do their own MP systems before the 600MP with vanilla SPARC in
series 4 & 5).

But you really, really want 'cas' (introduced in v9) so that you can
do atomic increment as well, without the need for a separate lock
variable.
(a true atomic fetch-and-add is more efficient, but 'cas' will do).

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau