[rescue] compiling old software re: emacs on SunOS 4.1.4

Richard ejb at trick-1.net
Tue May 29 15:26:16 CDT 2018

Hi John

In stead of vnc I compiled X11R6 (long gnu journey from tar up...)  for my SS20 rining 4.1.3U1 and then use Cigwyn X11 so my Windows 10 machine can be a X terminal. I can then setenv DISPLAY on the SS20 (or any other machine with X11 on it) to the Win10 machine and I have xterm, netscape, sunpc  etc from the remote machines....

As others have pointed out also helps to go back and find age appropriate versions of the software. i.e. from the gnu archive. The current versions of sed/gcc/make etc really are a challenge on these old systems.

hope that helps.

Cheers

Richard