[rescue] compiling old software re: emacs on SunOS 4.1.4

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue May 29 15:17:36 CDT 2018

On Tue, 29 May 2018, Andrew Jones wrote:

> The bbestb browser on hardware that old is probably Internet Explorer for UNIX.

IE for Solaris was pretty darned good, as was IE for MacOS.  It's truly a
shame that the Windows version was so awful.

These days, the only browsers I have patience for on old hardware are:

         1. elinks
         2. ssh -X me at newer-posix-box firefox

Web "standards" advance too quickly to do most things with an old browser
that can't be done in lynx/links/elinks, and those "standards" come with
enough overhead[0] to crush older hardware.

[0] Someone formerly of this list once put it as: "Imagine how many
     gigawatt-hours we could avoid using each year if we made some common
     element of Javascript 5% more efficient."  Both a fascinating and
     depressing thing to consider.
--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX