[rescue] compiling old software re: emacs on SunOS 4.1.4

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Tue May 29 12:20:17 CDT 2018

> Back in the late 1990s, it was common to have a completely separate
> userland utility/library tree just for GNU compatibility.  /opt/fsf is a
> pretty good place to put it.  I could probably dig up my build notes from
> back then (mentioning which order to build things, which configure option
> to pass, etc.), but they'd target Solaris 2.6 rather than SunOS 4.1.4.

If memory serves...

1) tar, distributed as a shell archive (.shar)
2) gzip, distributed as a compress'ed tar (.tar.Z)
3) gcc, in 4 stages (built-in cc is so bad, stage 2 and 3 differ, so
compare stage 3 and 4)
4) make

Then you should be mostly in the clear to build most of the GNU stuff
in the order you need them. You probably should rebuild tar/gzip with
gcc as well.
Of course with NFS you can simply extract the gcc source w/o
rebuilding tar & gzip, which simplify the problem.

GCC 2.7.2.3 should work on SunOS 4.1.4, though maybe with the crappy
cc you should start bootstrapping the process with a 2.6.x ...

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau