[rescue] acc (ANSI C compiler) for SunOS 4.1.4; NeWS code (was Re: emacs for sunos 4.1.4)

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:17:57 CDT 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 7:14 AM, Doug McIntyre <merlyn at geeks.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 07:44:10AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> > " From: Doug McIntyre <merlyn at geeks.org>
> > " Assuming you have a gcc bootstraped up from the pre-K&R compiler that
> > " was included to build the kernel, or you have the appropriate Sun
> > " Workshop compilers installed..
> >
> > but back in the mid '90s i was at a 4.1.4 shop, with both emacs and
> > xemacs installed, and i'm pretty sure i compiled them both with the
> > sunos compiler.  i don't think we even had gcc installed.
>
> Compiling emacs should work with the approprate Sun Workshop compiler
> installed (and licensed). The pre-K&R compiler that ships with the OS
> is not good enough.  gcc (of appropriate vintage) was able to
> bootstrap itself using it and is what we used all the time.
>
> SunOS v4.1.4 was one of the primary platforms that everything conformed to.
> Everything of appropriate vintage should compile out-of-the box. You
> shouldn't have to do much to make it work.

I'm looking for acc (the ANSI C compiler) for SunOS 4.1.4. Is that the one
included in Sun Workshop?

The reason I'm looking for it (apart from mere completeness) is that I'd
like to break into playing with NeWS on that platform, and the example code
I've found on the SunOS system itself seems to require that compiler*. I
have not yet bootstrapped gcc, so I don't know for sure if it will fit my
needs or not. But, as I mentioned, I'd like to have at least cc, gcc, and
acc for completeness if for no other reason.

* Although the NeWS UI is primarily programmed in PostScript, programs
really need some C code as backend also. I've also tried a bit of code from
_The NeWS Book_, but I think it's older than the OpenWindows/XNeWS in SunOS
4.1.4, so I've run into problems there. I can't remember the exact thing I
seemed to be missing, but I seem to remember it being some sort of
PostScript class library. If anyone can help me with pointers there, too,
I'd appreciate it (although I may have to go back in and figure out the
exact roadblocks I'm running into).

--
        Eric Christopherson