[rescue] compiling old software re: emacs on SunOS 4.1.4

john jferg977 at aol.com
Tue May 29 08:06:25 CDT 2018

You can probably divine that I don't know what I'm doing from these
notes, but...

I, too, use vi almost exclusively, not only on the Sparc10, but also the
half dozen RasberryPi's soldiering away at various tasks around the
house, and of course the Linux machines and spouse's damned AppleAir.

I still have a SPARCprinter1 - and it works too. I needed Ghostprint to
enable it to print stuff which NewsPrint couldn't handle. This meant
brining up GCC using the old resident 4.1.4 cc. This went pretty well
especially because notes I found on the web alerted me to potential
problems.B  Eventually I got gcc 2.9.5 running and then ghostprint.B  And
yes, the sparc10 is a print server which will print anything we send it
from linux or the apple.B  I haven't been able to get windows 10 to deal
with it because I haven't figured out how to get the PPD info into some
form that the Windows printer routine can understand.

I then thought it would be nice if I could get VNC running on the
SPARC10.B  I could display Xclock from the Sun on other machines, but
nothing more complex.B  VNC would be nice, but I ran into a host of
dependency problems trying to compile it.

So my question is: Is it possible that when I try to compile what
purports to be 1995 vintage code, someone has doctored up the
configuration files to expect a more modern environment?B  For example, I
was able to get GMAKE compiled, but then it didn't like my SED, and so I
tried updating SED and ran into other things it didn't like. It looked
like an endless treasure hunt. I gave up.

There is also the problem of patches and how far up one should bring a
system.B  I decided to patch up to 2000, among other things so DATE would
work right. I would think I could run into trouble trying to compile
1995 code on a machine patched to 2000.

The original motivation for keeping the SS10 running was so I could run
a 1992 version of a solid modeling package i had a license for.B  After
doing all sorts of upgrades and going to microSd drive and two ross
hypersparc processors and a whole lot of RAM, I decided it would be
better to work on a modern solid-modeler.B  I subscribed to CREO, which
is quite good but runs on Windows 10.B  Now, except for the printing, the
SS10 has nothing to do.B  I would like to bring up VNC, but it looks like
a month's work and I don't have THAT much time.

as to crackerjack, there's a prize in there somewhere if only I can find it.

john