[rescue] emacs for sunos 4.1.4

Doug McIntyre merlyn at geeks.org
Tue May 29 07:14:03 CDT 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 07:44:10AM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Doug McIntyre <merlyn at geeks.org>
> " Assuming you have a gcc bootstraped up from the pre-K&R compiler that
> " was included to build the kernel, or you have the appropriate Sun
> " Workshop compilers installed..
>
> but back in the mid '90s i was at a 4.1.4 shop, with both emacs and
> xemacs installed, and i'm pretty sure i compiled them both with the
> sunos compiler.  i don't think we even had gcc installed.

Compiling emacs should work with the approprate Sun Workshop compiler
installed (and licensed). The pre-K&R compiler that ships with the OS
is not good enough.  gcc (of appropriate vintage) was able to
bootstrap itself using it and is what we used all the time.

SunOS v4.1.4 was one of the primary platforms that everything conformed to.
Everything of appropriate vintage should compile out-of-the box. You
shouldn't have to do much to make it work.