[rescue] getting started with emacs

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Mon May 28 19:36:32 CDT 2018

So, after this editor discussion (that I believe I have seen in a few
other incarnations), I've become interested in emacs again. I have
always (as in for 20+ years) used "vi" because regardless of the OS in
question (HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris, Linux of any flavor, and whatever
else), it was the one common editor. It was worth learning (odd as it
may be) because of its omnipresence. I've gotten used to it enough that
it will do what I want.

But now I have a little more time to look at new things, and I am
interested again in emacs. Is there a better way to get started that
just to install it an read the man page? Just now I installed it on a
Slackware 14 server to try it out.

Suggestions?

This is *not* meant to reignite the debate; I just want to play around
with emacs, if that is even possible. ;-)

Steve