[rescue] emacs vs. Word!, was Re: SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:03:21 CDT 2018

On Mon, 28 May 2018 at 18:23, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

>    I do, though.  But I have the same complaint about you.  What I hear
> is you sticking your fingers in your ears and screaming "emacs sucks and
> is dead and should be changed or erased because it's different from what
> I believe is the one standard for everything".

Which is an admission what I just accused you of.

That is not what I said. It's not even close. I don't know where you got it
but it's not even _related_ to what I said.

I think you're just labelling me with whatever you think is standard
Emacs-bashing.

>    But there's more than a sliver of truth in it.  You yourself say that
> you're not much of a programmer.  But I am, and you inexplicably presume
> to criticize the tools that I use.

Nope.

Again, not what I said.

>    Oh but I do.  You've made it very clear.  You assert that anything
> that doesn't conform to your idea of proper behavior is bad and should
> either be changed to be what you think it should be, or it should
> disappear.

Nope.

> You've made your meaning quite plain.  "Conform or GTFO"
> were your exact words.

Which you appear not to understand.

>    Heh.  No.  Other listmembers will make up their own minds.

You appear to believe that I care. I don't.

As simply as I can put it:

There is a standard UI for text editors. It has been the standard since the
mid 1980s. I think all text editors should at least offer the ability to
conform to it, and that should be the default.

Similarly, documentation should reflect standard usage and standard
terminology, and if it uses terms which are nonstandard or refers to
technology with obsolete terms that are no longer accurate, then it is bad
documentation.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com