[rescue] SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun May 27 18:10:49 CDT 2018

On Sun, 27 May 2018, Dave McGuire wrote:

>  Ok, I could certainly be wrong, and if I am, I apologize.  I could've
> sworn that you and I were discussing AS/400s here on this list sometime
> in the past couple of years, and you mentioned something about "the
> awful 5250 user experience" and it really stuck with me.

My experience has been that there's a large representation of nontechnical
users who hate "green screens" of all makes and models.  They're the sorts
of users for whom the GUI was created.

There's one regional appliance/furniture store chain here that has[0] real
hardware AS/400 terminals on the sales floor.  Every time I've been in, at
least one of the sales staff has kvetched about the "ancient crap."

They'd probably complain about something else if it were some buggy GUI
thing or some "point-of-sales" nonsense, but the modality of the IBM
"fill-in screen" UI is far enough away from what anyone uses on either the
point-of-sales or awful-pc-software end of the spectrum that it probably
does feel legitimately foreign.

Probably not so to the people from whom you rescued that 400, since nearly
all computers had that "look and feel" so long ago.

Use anything long enough and it feels normal above everything else.
That's what I tell people about why I love AIX.

[0] Or did as of about five years ago.
--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX