[rescue] SUN PCMCIA SBus Card

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun May 27 15:44:55 CDT 2018

On 05/27/2018 04:38 PM, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
> Emacs is a dramatic failure on the user-experience front unless the user's
> workflow involves spinning it up and spending all day in there with a
> multitude of tools that mutually benefit from all that Emacs substrate.
> As a transitory tool, though, it's just awful.

  Well.  Once again, this is not an uncommon statement to hear from
people who don't like emacs.  I've been hearing exactly this, or
variations of it, since the mid-80s.  Screwdrivers make awful hammers
too, and this should not be surprising.

  That said, I use (and like) both emacs and vi.

  This tickled a memory.  No offense, but you've also proclaimed that
the user experience with the IBM 5250 is awful.  Yet, having picked up
many AS/400s and dozens of terminals, and spoken with their former
owners, they all loved them.  Universally.  WIth zero exceptions.

  They're just not YOUR favorite tools or mesh well with what YOU do.
And that's ok.

> So, I mean, things can always be worse.B  Hoo-ray for ridiculously complex,
> infinitely programmable environments for doing fundamentally simple
> things.B  Neither Vim not Emacs is awful in a world of crapware based on
> Electron, NetBeans, and Eclipse.

  Yup.  And the only things worse than crap like that are the morons who
think that software cannot be written without them.  "Duh, Where do I
click to make my program go??"

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ