[rescue] We have decided to rehome the Origin 2000

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Thu May 17 15:05:44 CDT 2018

On Wed, 9 May 2018, PhreakShow Telephone Company wrote:
> My gf and I have been talking and we think its best if we rehome the Origin
> 2000,  We do not have the power available it requires to even start to
> restore it.   And our township has enough red tape and permit bs that
> getting our service upgraded to handle it would take a miracle.
>
> So we are only asking to recoup the costs we have into it.   About $350.

I appreciate I'm a little late on this one, but...

I have fired up six Onyx2 racks (although only one Graphics module, I had
all six Compute modules going) on a 100A service out in the sticks of
Iowa. Hell, I've got half an E10k running right now.

Unless it's a 208v 3-ph model it'll run just fine off a single oven 220v
outlet, just replace the TwistLock with a NEMA30P. If it -is- a 208 3ph
model I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be too hard to find a 220v power supply
and to take a run at the input wiring. I rewired my Onyx rack (Onyx "1"
Terminator) from 208 to 220, for example, and if I can do it any idiot
can.

Also, for scale, I paid $300 for those six Onyx2 racks about ten years ago
from Boeing Surplus out of Missouri. I think I paid $40 for the Origin
2400 standalone rack (although it did some with a nifty APC SmartUPS 5000
for 'free').

  - JP