[rescue] Sun Fire 280R CPU Thermistor

Ryan Eisworth ryan at diskfutility.com
Mon May 7 22:08:04 CDT 2018

Greetings,

A while back my 280R started powering itself off at random, usually a short
while after being powered on. Through the RSC, I found out that one of the two
CPU modules was reading improbably high temperatures that varied wildly, and
when it would hit an over-temperature condition, the machine would halt. I
removed the offending CPU and the machine is working now, but I can't figure
out how to repair this thermistor issue. Is there a discrete thermistor on the
CPU card or is the temperature measurement performed in the CPU die? I'm
hoping the processor can be salvaged.

Best regards,