[rescue] eSATA on SPARC - or SCSI->eSATA converters

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Wed Feb 14 06:54:13 CST 2018

On 14/02/18 03:57, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 04:34:40PM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> If not for the deafening roar such a machine makes, it would be a perfect Sun
>> machine to have in the rack in my garage - small, low power, lots of cores,
>> etc.

I'm actually using the very system that Mr. Bill was making those comments about.  And in stock configuration, I wouldn't disagree
with a word of what Mr. Bill (and Lionel) are commenting on.   Very loud system.

I'm planning to pull the system board and power supply from its original enclosure, put those in a larger enclosure, then replace
the OEM small fans with some quieter, larger fans to address cooling.

That issue out of the way, I see the single PCI-E expansion slot as the biggest limiting factor in having this system as any type of
at-home desktop.

> Indeed. I'd love a quiet, modern SPARC system at home but AFAICS such a thing doesn't exist (the Ultra 45 was probably the last of
> those and they're /crazy expensive/ on the second hand market). Are any of the more modern SPARC systems as quiet as a modern x86
> server?
>
> Cheers, MJ

I'm doing this with the T1000, as that is a system I have, and paid for, that I haven't gotten a lot of use out of, but really need
to.  If I was spending that money today and duplicating this experiment, and specifically staying with SPARC, given my planned
desktop style usage and budget, and I would expect most peoples, I would be doing this with an M3000.

Jerry