[rescue] Old Monitors

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 16:15:17 CST 2018

Sent from my iPad

> On 13 Feb 2018, at 22:04, Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net> wrote:
>
>> On 02/13/18 16:29, Ian Frost wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a small number of old Sun monochrome monitors, which Ibve managed
>> keep working over the years despite a few capacitor blow outs, etc.
>>
>> Ibd really like to get one of the old Sun 17/19b colour monitors from
the
>> early SPARC era - I had one but gave it away a decade or more ago.
>>
>> So many of the the old CRTs seem to have been recycled - I wonder if
anyone
>> has one they would like to get rid off ?
>

> The last Sun CRT monitor I had was a 90D10 that I gave away to a
> hobbyist who wanted to use it in a homebuilt flight simulator.  Before
> that, I had about four or five 20D10s that gave up the ghost one by one.

The 20D10 and its replacement the 20E10? were both very poor monitors and had
a shocking lifetime, worst monitor I ever saw from Sony. The earlier 1962 and
17 inch equivalent were much much better monitors. The main issue with all of
those early monitors was lack of PC compatibility which is why so many were
just scrapped early on, and the later PC compact ones were scrapped as they
were just too damn big and heavy for folk to keep around.

On the early mono/grayscale ones. The mono had the DB9 'TTL' interface and the
grey scale the 13W3.

My personal favourite of the earlier monitors, though not that early was the
18.1" LCD. Still a few around and usually pretty cheap to buy and to ship,
unlike the CRTs.

Peter