[rescue] eSATA on SPARC - or SCSI->eSATA converters

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Thu Feb 8 14:15:12 CST 2018

It seems a couple of months ago, we had a discussion regarding adding SATA/eSATA drives to SPARC based systems.

One of the options that came up during the discussion, was to not even try to use a SAS or SATA host bus adapter, but, instead, to
just use a SCSI card+cabling, and to add SCSI->SATA converters to add SATA drive(s) to the SCSI chain.

I'm usually pretty good about archiving data, but I can't seem to locate that discussion again in my personal archives.

Hoping that who ever shared that information could share the specifics of that again.

FWIW, the host would be a Sun T1000 with a PCI-E 1.0a expansion bus, specifically, the old one I purchased from Mr. Bill.  It is
going to live in a different enclosure with different/quieter/larger fans.

And just to ask directly, even though the specific cards may not matter, for who ever is already doing this, wondering what PCI-E
SCSI HBA you used, and also, what SCSI->SATA converter/adapters you used.

TIA,

Jerry