[rescue] Sun Enterprise 3500- FC-AL drives not recognized

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Wed Sep 13 01:24:01 CDT 2017

Hi

Hopefully this may be of some use.

The photo shows a fully stacked setup with redundant fibre channels. As per
others if I remember correctly....

Looking at the photo, the cards with the fibre connection to the right are the
I/O cards with GBIC slots and are part of the backplane of the system. To the
left is the interface to the disks which has 4 GBIC slots. The slots are in
pairs for the disk backplane. The top two go to the top row of disks, the
bottom two go to the bottom row of disks. To use all 8 disks, you just need
one cable to the top pair of GBIC connectors and one to the bottom pair. I
think the E3500 had the probe-fcal command to allow you to see them from the
ok prompt.

On the GBICs there were two types, again if I remember they were called long
and short range ones and they do not mix.

Peter
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services
Mbl: 07977 532320