[rescue] Sun Enterprise 3500- FC-AL drives not recognized

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Tue Sep 12 19:45:17 CDT 2017

On 09/12/2017 08:31 PM, PhreakShow Telephone Company wrote:
> I got my first Sun Enterprise 3500 at Vintage computer festival midwest.
>
> I got it home.  got it put together.   Connected up a trusty old VT220
> and was able to get to the firmware.   The 8 FC-AL disks installed
> arent recognized.    Boots off a CD-ROM fine.
>
>>From what i can tell it requires GBIC Controllers in the disk
> controller card on the machine.

    It's been a few years since I've seen one, but I seem to recall
that there needed to be a fibre-cable between at least one of the
SOCAL controllers and a jack in either the leftmost or rightmost
"slot" in the back so it could talk to the drives (even though
they're internal).

> Other then that it boots launches the openbsd cd and just cant find the disks.
>
> And makes a great heater :P

    Great, so the basic hardware is OK.  I suspect a missing length
of fibre between the controller and the drives.

    Cheers!